Antique John Bennett & Co Full Size Snooker Billiard Table c.1870s
Antique 12ft Mahogany tulip leg snooker billiard table by John Bennett & Co, in near original condition.
This table has 8 mahogany tulip legs all finely Carved by hand, top brass fitting flush pocket plates; ball runners, cushion buttons, solid mahogany cover plates on the legs and 2" bolted Welsh slate bed, this is a quality made mahogany Snooker/Billiard table, which sits on hand carved bed & base, it has wonderful carved legs and carvings to lower edges of side panels. The playing surface is a slate bed, The table will be fully re- covered in a new English green cloth.
The D end cushion rail has a Larger detailed Mahogany carvings and Gold Leaf detail with the maker’s Name -
"John Bennett & Co. Makers by appointment to the Royal Family & H M Government, 35 Surrey Street, Strand, London.
The leg bolts and cushion bolts are hidden by hand turned fittings. The end panels have Large detailed Mahogany carvings,
The brass pockets have thick leather covers and a heavy duty strung net and ball runners,
the brass work being set into the top surface of all the cushion beds.
Price includes - delivery and new recover to bed and cushions in 6811 Strachen, English Green Cloth .
Please see all the pictures for style, detail and condition. Dry Stored carefully & ready for delivery - awaiting its new owners.
Early History for John Bennett & Co
John Bennett & Co was founded in 1821 by John Bennett and was based in the city of London at Surrey St. This site was destroyed in a fire during 1898, so the company moved to Vincent Square. This was the first of several unfortunate events to effect the business.In 1899 John Bennett died and the business was taken over by his sons, whom oversaw another move to 120 Newington Causeway, and additional workshops at Rockingham St, when part of the Newington site was compulsory purchased after the first world war the company branched out into operating billiard halls in the 1920s, sadly all of which were destroyed by German bombs during the 2nd world war. this also affected their shop, offices and production facilities at 120 Newington Causeway which was completely destroyed in 1941.Post war the company continued to trade despite the destruction of the Newington site, eventually moving to a new site at 52 Newington Causeway in 1952. Two further compulsory purchase orders left them with no option but to move from these premises, finally they settled in Old Kent Rd after John Gibson Bennett Jnr died in 1965.Throughout the 1960s and 70s the business expanded, acquiring W. Stevens & Sons in 1967, and Mister Billiards in 1974. In 1980 John Bennett & Co was acquired by the ever expanding E.J Riley. Another famous old name was lost.